The beauty routines of old Hollywood legends fascinate me, and with TIFF just around the corner, it’s the perfect time to talk about the Erno Laszlo Hollywood Collection. Erno Laszlo was the skin guru for royalty, society and Hollywood’s A-list when it consisted of Marilyn Monroe, Katherine Hepburn, Ava Gardner, Greta Garbo and Grace Kelly. These ladies trusted their faces to the Hungarian skin specialist who created custom-blended creams for them, five of which have been taken from the archives and updated with new technology as part of the Laszlo 85th Anniversary Hollywood Collection.
- First, the Morning Beauty Rescue, a tribute to Marilyn Monroe’s peaches and cream complexion. The pink cream- gel with ruby red shimmery flakes give a quick moisture boost with vitamin e, glycerin and apple fruit extract; all perfect for when you stayed up too late the night before, hence the name “Morning Beauty Rescue.” Laszlo made it to brighten Marilyn Monroe’s morning-after complexion, a side effect of her love of late-night parties, cigarettes and Dom Pérignon. It is said that Laszlo beauty products were on the bedside table next to her deathbed.
- The Instant Eye Repair is inspired by Ava Gardner’s mesmerizing eyes; she had enough sultry looks to melt the North Pole. The light green coloured gel cream refreshes and feels good around the eyes as it firms and adds moisture with apricot kernel oil, Shea butter, vitamin e, and rosemary. Ava was a strong-willed, feisty, hard drinking, woman who lived it up right to the end, still drinking Jack Daniel’s, and chasing her brandy with Pérignon. Frank Sinatra was husband #3.
- The divine face of Great Garbo was made for the camera. Inspired by the unforgettable contours of her magnificent bone structure, Velvet Night Cream is a luxurious, ultra rich night that moisturizes deeply for plumper, supple, soft skin.
- Rich girl turned model, turned movie queen, turned real royalty, Princess Grace Kelly was also famous for her flawless radiant complexion. The Refresh Moisture Infusion, a soothing lavender colour blend of botanicals , is an elixir of moisturizing ingredients that could help give our skin a youthful suppleness.
- Katharine Hepburn is famous for her outspoken, adventurous character in The African Queen (1951), which was shot on location in Africa, exposing her porcelain skin to the sun. The Intensive Porcelain Veil, a minty blue lightweight moisturizer, helps shield our skin from sun exposure and it’s related aging. It’s also infused with vitamins and antioxidants for extra protection. Hepburn led an active private life, reportedly swimming and playing tennis every morning well into her eighties.
Wonderful as these products are, they do not replace the legendary Laszlo ritual: the pre-cleansing oil, using your black Laszlo soap, the 30 plus splashes in comfortable hot water followed by 10 splashes in clean comfortable hot water, and the powdery shake-it. I fondly remember my ‘Laszlo moment’ and at some point in your beauty history, you really must experience this unique skincare system. It works!!
Available at Shoppers Drug Mart MURALE.